Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sex, Lies, and Duct Tape

The supreme power that is Google represents the superhighway of blog traffic. One has ones friends and followers that visit regularly, via direct cyber roads. It is a well-known concept in blogland that certain key words and phrases will drastically increase the traffic on the Google freeway exit for your page.

Jenn And The City rarely pays attention to this aspect of blog marketing. I write for my own amusement first and foremost, and anyone who wants to tag along in my narcissistic adventure is always welcome to hop on the magic carpet. It’s definitely a “travel at your own risk” sort of trip. You never know when I’m going to turn at the second star on the left and go straight on til morning.

But I was fascinated to see the amount of traffic that the “Surviving the Duct Tape Wars” post generated. One intuitively recognizes that certain words, like “sex” or “Britney” will up your site visitor count, but “duct tape”? That’s.So.Messed.Up. There’s way too many people out there Googling “duct tape”. I know it’s popular in home and vehicle repair, and also an alternative gift wrap option, but really, why would you Google it?

Maybe I should mention that I once managed to Super Glue my finger to the weather stripping on my dog door. Does Super Glue have the universal appeal in the cyber-world that duct tape does? The even better Super Glue story is the tube that Travis-whippet got hold of and started to chew up. Those who know the story of Travis and his teeth probably think I should have let him keep the glue.

What happens to my visitor count if I tell the story of the WD-40 fiasco? Will that cause the counter number to whirl cheerfully skyward? In my experience, locating duct-tape in the hardware store, and inserting the straw into the can of WD-40 require Y-chromosomes. You don’t want to know about the reaction of the Y-chromosome at the hardware store when you try to return the defective uhh, lubricating product because you're having difficulties making the, err, tube delivering the viscous oil fit in the opening provided.

Additional fun fact about WD-40, it can be used to clean crayon and ink from computer monitors. Do Not Ask Me How I Know This. Remember I’m a recovering blonde.


Stay tuned next time when we will explore the Google results for hardware choices such as cordless screwdrivers, channel locks, and needle-nose pliers.

6 comments:

When a Problem Comes Along, You Must Whippet... said...

Love it!

Jenn And The City said...

Scarier still, if you google "duct tape" and "britney" this blog doesn't come up until page 3...

Ms. Florida Transplant said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! It's always nice to read other whippet-lovers blogs! :)

Unknown said...

You are so funny and people are very strange.

Patience-please said...

I did not know any of that. Not one word.
So will you loose respect for me if my next post is titled "Presidential Inauguration Tickets"?

Anonymous said...

Insurance providers aren't in the market of providing you with a telephone call whenever they believe they could help you save dollars. That isn't excellent organization practice! It's your choice to contact your insurance carrier and inform them associated with a adjustments in your lifetime that can enable you to get a price reduction in your premiums. [url=http://www.xxxw12woo.info]be57u7jer[/url]

Jenn and the City

An Award

An Award
Thanks Patience!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Counter